Medicare Part D Notices
October 3, 2018
Annual Medicare Part D Notices Are Due by Oct. 14, 2018
Employers that provide prescription drug coverage to individuals who are eligible for Medicare Part D are required to notify those individuals whether or not the coverage that is provided is creditable, as part of the Medicare Part D creditable coverage requirements. This notice is important because Medicare beneficiaries who are not covered by creditable prescription drug coverage and do not enroll in Medicare Part D when first eligible will likely pay higher premiums if they enroll at a later date. Although there are no specific penalties associated with this notice requirement, failing to provide the notice may be detrimental to employees.
What do employers need to do?
- Employers must provide creditable or non-creditable coverage disclosure notices to employees and dependents eligible for Medicare Part D on an annual basis by October 14, 2018. The notice must be given at other times as well.
- Employers often include Medicare Part D notices in open enrollment packets they distribute prior to Oct. 15th. As best practice, many employers resend the notice to everyone eligible for benefits to make sure employees received and shared it with any Medicare eligible dependents.
- Watkins provides this customized notice in your Employee Benefits Enrollment Guide each year to help clients fulfill this requirement as you distribute these Employee Benefits Enrollment Guides to eligible employees. The notice can be found in the “Disclosures & Notices” section of the enrollment guide.
- You can also distribute this customized notice electronically if you follow the guidelines in the attached document.
- Employers are also required to disclose to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) whether their prescription drug coverage is creditable. This should be done each year within 60 days of the beginning date of the plan year, or within 30 days of a change or termination of the prescription drug plan
Employers report this info by completing the steps at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/EmployerDisclosure