Texas Employers: How to Avoid Extra COVID-19 Testing Charges
July 10, 2020
Many of your employees may be wondering about the costs of getting a COVID-19 test. The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) released a helpful bulletin addressing these concerns. Please share with your employees to help them avoid extra COVID-19 testing charges.
Texans who want a test for COVID-19 can likely avoid unnecessary charges by taking a few steps first.
If your doctor requests the test as medically necessary, you shouldn’t be charged for it. That’s federal law.
To reduce your chances of facing extra costs:
- Call your primary care doctor before getting tested. Get your doctor’s testing order and recommended testing site. The order makes the test possible at no cost to you.
- Ask the testing site if it has any charges or fees not covered by insurance.
- Do not authorize non-COVID tests at the same time unless your doctor orders them.
- Unless it’s a medical emergency, avoid hospital or free-standing emergency rooms, which usually charge more.
- If you aren’t paying with insurance, shop around on the web or by phone to compare testing charges and possible add-on fees.
If you get a bill related to a COVID test, call your health plan to find out why. If you can’t resolve the issue with your plan, call the TDI Help Line at 1-800-252-3439. If you believe you have been excessively charged, call the Texas Office of the Attorney General at 1-800-621-0508.
Watkins Insurance Group will continue to keep you updated on any changes. Please let us know if you have any questions. (512) 452-8877