PCORI Fee Due July 31, 2020
June 24, 2020
As part of the ACA, employers with a level-funded/self-funded plan must pay an annual fee to the IRS to help fund the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI). The fees are due each year by July 31st of the year following the last day of the plan year. This means that, for plan years ending in 2019, the PCORI fees are due by July 31, 2020.
If you offer/offered a medical plan that is level-funded/self-funded, you need to file and pay the PCORI fee.
- When is the deadline to report/pay the fee?
- PCORI fees are due by July 31, 2020. Click here for details.
- How are PCORI fees reported and paid?
- PCORI fees are reported annually using IRS Form 720 (Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return). Please see the PCORI Fees Overview & FAQ below.
- You can pay the PCORI fee online at: https://www.irs.gov/uac/eftps-the-electronic-federal-tax-payment-system
- How to calculate your fees:
- The fee is calculated based on the average number of lives covered under the policy or plan. There are multiple counting methods allowed by the IRS. Visit https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/patient-centered-outcomes-research-institute-fee.
- We have also attached a PCORI fee tax estimator for you to use.