Special Events May Need Special Insurance Attention
February 16, 2017
Courtesy of Cincinnati Insurance Companies
Every weekend the calendar seems to offer a menu of festivals, 5K races, and concerts. No matter what the weather, there is something special to do. Some folks plan their leisure time around any number of school, church, and community events.
If you business or organization is planning a special event you may be experiencing some of the common worries.
* What happens if a patron gets hurt?
* What if there is damage to the property of others as a result of the event?
* Are there other, unforeseen exposures?
You may have similar concerns if you are a crafter who sells your goods at weekend festivals. The event sponsor may ask you to provide a certificate of insurance demonstrating that you have liability coverage.
You can protect yourself, your business or organization, its assets, and your employees or club members by purchasing special events coverage. Special events may share some common elements that might not be covered by the policy your business or organization already has in force:
* A special event may be held away from your normal site of operations.
* Entry may require an admission.
* There may be activities that are outside the scope of typical operations.
* Attendance may involve those who do not normally interact with your business or organization.
* The events are often of a short term, perhaps held on one day or over the weekend.
Speak to the experts at Watkins Insurance Group and be ready to answer questions to help tailor the coverage in your policy to the event you’re planning:
* Who is sponsoring the event and is there already some insurance in place?
* How many people do you expect to attend?
* Is the event indoors or outdoors?
* Will you be using permanent or portable bleachers?
* Is there parking on or off premises?
* Is there a parking attendant?
* Will the event feature amusement rides?
* Will alcohol be served?
* What items are being sold in your concession stands?
* If you are the sponsor, did you remember to seek insurance certificates from third parties that may be providing services at your event?
Protect the success of your special event with the right insurance coverage.
After that, it’s up to your weather forecaster.