Taking A Spring Break? Keep Your Home Safe While You’re Away!
March 9, 2016
Taking a Spring Break? Keep your home safe while you’re away!
For many, the spring months are a welcome time to escape the work days and chilly temperatures by heading on vacation to South Padre or beyond. And is there a better way to celebrate the end of winter than to take a spring break?
Whether you’re going to hang out at Lake Buchanan, bask on a sunny, white-sand beach in the Caribbean, or hit the slopes for some skiing or snowboarding, you have to take precautions to ensure your home stays safe while you’re away. After all, what could be worse than returning from a relaxing break or an active adventure to find a disaster has occurred, such as a break-in, or water or fire damage?
To ensure your vacation doesn’t end in a major headache, follow these tips before you go.
- Check for any leaks and fix them. For example, ensure your refrigerator ice maker is not leaking!
- Set your heater at approximately 50 degrees to ensure pipes and appliances don’t freeze. But if you have pets and they are going to be in the house, set it closer to 72 degrees.
- If you have pets, make arrangements for their comfort and safety. Either board them or have a friend come over daily to care for them.
- Turn furnace and hot water heaters down.
- Unplug all appliances, such as coffee makers, toasters, and exercise equipment.
- Leave a light or two on so the house doesn’t appear deserted at night.
- Lower blinds and close curtains so that passers-by can’t view your valuables.
- Leave a key with a trusted friend or neighbor so they can enter the home in case of emergency.
- Have a friend or neighbor bring in newspapers and mail or cancel delivery during the time when you’ll be away.
- If you have the opportunity to get away for spring break, the licensed advisors at Watkins Insurance Group wish you happy trails, and hope you come home to a safe and welcoming home!
At Watkins Insurance Group, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at (512) 452-8877 or send us a note at ContactUs@WatkinsInsuranceGroup.com. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!